For your free consultation call
0203 6978 446

Permitted Development

If you property isn’t a listed building or in a conversation area it may allow a rear extension thanks to Permitted Development.

Permitted Development allows you to extend out by 8m from the original rear wall if the property is detached. If you have a terraced or semidetached home you can only build out by 6m.  With all property types the height restriction is 4m high.  The only other restrictions apply if your extension will end up 2m or closer to the property boundary and then the only restriction is that the eaves must not be higher than 3m.  These restrictions only apply too single-storey extensions!

If you plan on building a two storey extension it cannot be taller than the existing building.  The most important detail when it comes to two storey extension’s is you simply aren’t allowed to add them to what is considered the front, or the face, of the property. Also a side extension must be shorter than half the length of the original building. You are not allowed to cover more than 50% of the property’s land in extensions.

Finally materials used in the building of your new extension must be visually similar to the rest of the property with the exception of conservatories, lean-to’s or orangeries.

Even though you think every day home improvements or DIY are menial tasks, they still come under Permitted Development.

Home Improvements; what you can do!

  • Build a porch.
  • Carry out internal alterations.
  • Convert and occupy the loft space.
  • Install microgeneration equipment such as solar panels (apart from wind turbines).
  • Install satellite dishes.
  • Erect antenna.
  • Put in rooflights or dormer windows.
  • Put in new doors or windows.
  • Extend the back of your home.

Adding a balcony, veranda or raised platform/seating area (above 30cm) does not fall under Permitted Development and always requires planning permission from your local authority.


You also need planning permission in some circumstances to add or have work done on your driveway.  You must ensure the work on your driveway does not require the need of a step as this is a contravention of the regulations, technically you have now made the dwelling less accessible.  You need to make the driveway out of porous material to comply with Permitted Development. If you want the driveway to made of tarmac or other non-porous materials you will need planning permission and to take into account underground drainage or by creating it in a way the water drains naturally by having the drive at an incline or camber. This is only the case should your new driveway exceed 5 squared meters. These rules only apply to front driveways. Driveways that extend to the side or rear of the property will need planning permission.  They also only apply to building’s that were created as housing, not commercial renovations.  If you have created a driveway and wish to drop the kerb you need to get planning permission to do so and sometimes the local council will want to do the work themselves to ensure legislation is followed and road markings are not tampered with/resign the road. Also the pavement may need strengthening this is to protect existing water pipes under the pathway.

You’re also allowed to convert office building into a residential property. Originally this law was passed temporarily to help with the lack of inner city residencies.  In 2016 it became permanent.

If you have completed work on your property and you believe you have stuck to the Permitted Development regulations and the local council disagrees you will be struck with a summons to apply for planning permission.  The normal planning permission process will begin, which is sometimes lengthy and should you be denied planning permission you will be ordered to have all the changes taken back and the property restored.


Have Queries?

Fill up the form below. We will get back to you!